The officers’ mess
While the officers do not appear to have slept at this camp, being billeted in the neighbouring villages, they did spend their days here. As such they were equipped with a mess, which has now been precisely located. The mess hall was a large wooden building overlooking the whole amphitheatre from its western extremity. The building was burned down during the capture of this sector by the Americans in early October 1918. As it collapsed, the roof of the hall trapped beneath it all of the tableware reserved for the officers. The large quantity of ceramic and porcelain fragments recovered during excavations provide us with a detailed record of this varied and very particular dinner service: plates of all sizes, various platters, sauce dishes and even toothpick-holders.